Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Rules - examples or not?

I personally like when there are examples of rules in the rulebook. I think, that same time you read and try to digest the rules and after a new thing there is example how it works, it is faster and easier to learn when you actually see how that works. You might do few test rolls to try the mechanics, but if there are examples you see how the mechanics work while you read.

One quite recent example of this is Call of Cthulhu 6th edition. It was a while since I last time played it. Actually several years, almost a decade. I did remember the basics of the rules but didn't quite remember the insanity mechanics. Luckily, there was long example what explained everything from loosing minor amount of SAN to taking a small rest period in asylum. That example covered everything needed without need to read all the sanity rules. Really convient.

But now I'd like to know what you guys think about examples. Are they for good or for some reason bad? Share with me.
Post a Comment