Monday, August 9, 2010

Post-apocalyptic, eveyone has seen that one already

I want to write my first rpg supplement for my own rules set. But now the genre or setting I'd like to write the most is post-apocalyptic one. But there is one problem.

World is full of post-apocalyptic stuff. Movies, games, roleplaying games, books, comics and so on. Why should I write yet another post-apocalyptic setting? Someone might say, that if it has an unique twist, it is worth it. But meh, if there is no special twist or something new?

I mean, I am not sure do I have any new ideas. I am not sure could I bring something new into post-apocalyptic genre. Or do something better than it's already done.

Why would I like to write one then? Well, for my own accomplishment. I realized thinking this urge of mine, that if I got inspiration and motivation for post-apocalyptic stuff then I should do it. It wouldn't be good to write a setting only to please other players if you don't have passion for it. I think setting you have seen dozens of times might be better if writer wanted to really do it, than a setting what was written only to sell out.

So, should I think that I write what I want to write, even if it's nothing new. Or should I try to find something what is interesting to greater masses and try to squeeze something new... in cost of my own passion?

Even though this post-apocalyptic dream of mine would be dull, it is writing. And I suppose everything you write down will advance you in some direction. No writed thing is a waste of time, is it?

2 comments:

Rev. Lazaro said...

Dude, seriously, when it comes to games 99.9% of the ideas out there have been done to some extent. You'll go mad trying to invent something new.

Go ahead with the Post Apocalyptic. It's what is in you, and obviously you love the genre enough that you'll probably have some unique spins that are yours to contribute to what is already out there.

Unknown said...

@ Rev. Lazaro:
Yeah, I think it comes to everything from movies to music. In some degree everything has been done already.

I was just thinking, that post-apocalyptic setting isn't that new thing, and there's many of them what do the job brilliantly.

Still, that's what I want to write now, and I will write it I suppose.
There might be some unique spins, I hope.

Thank you for comment.